- No one under 18 permitted – Government photo ID is required for ALL guests.
- Closed-toe shoes are required for all axe throwers. No sandals, flip-flops, etc.
- Participants may bring their own food and sealed, non-alcoholic beverages
- No alcohol is permitted on site. Anyone who appears intoxicated will be asked to leave.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do walk-ins work?
Walk-ins are available on a first-come, first-served basis whenever possible. The cost is $20/hr per person, prorated for as long as you throw. During peak times, as many as 5 people may be put on each lane. Each thrower takes 4 throws, then the next player takes their turn.
Do you serve food or drinks?
No, we don’t serve any food, but we do have some snacks and non-alcoholic drinks. You are welcome to bring your own food or even have your event catered. Give us a heads-up if you need us to clear a space for you.
Can I bring my own axe?
Absolutely! We just ask that personal axes are 12-18 inches in length, single blade of 3-4 inches, and have a cover when not in use.
What are you spraying on the boards?
The boards are sprayed with water occasionally to soften the wood. This causes the wood to splinter less and the axes to stick better
What kind of wood are you using?
SPF, a combination of spruce, pine, and fir.
How often do you replace the wood?
The wood is replaced as needed. Typically the center board lasts about 2 days. The boards on either side last about a week and the rest can last a month or longer.
Should we tip our axe coach?
Tipping your coach is not required, but if they made your experience more enjoyable, we appreciate it.
- Targets are constructed from 5 boards arranged vertically next to each other.
- The target contains 5 concentric circles, labeled from 2-6 points. Outside of the 5 concentric circles, there are 4 smaller circles labeled with an 8 (the 8-ball), which are only in play on the last throw of each game. Throws that land in the boards outside of any circles score 1 point.
- The foul line is placed 10 feet from the target.
- Axes must measure between 12 to 18 inches in total length.
- Axes must have no more than one blade, measuring between 3 to 4 inches.
- Games consist of 4 throws.
- Players must throw from behind the foul line and remain behind it until the axe has completely stopped. Crossing the line before the axe has come to rest results in a loss of game.
- Players score the highest zone that the blade of the axe is touching. The 8-ball can only be scored on the last throw of each game.
- During matches lasting more than 1 game, players switch sides after each game.
- Match win is awarded to the player who wins the most games.
- Choice of side/Order of Throw
- Side is chosen by coin-toss or rock-paper-scissors.
- During the first three throws, players throw together.
- On the last throw, the person with a higher point total throws first. In case of a tie, players throw together.
- Players must arrive within 30 minutes of start time. Players who are more than 30 minutes late are considered absent for the night.
- Players are allowed one absence. Games must be made up the following week.
- Any absence beyond the first results in a forfeit of games.
- Missing the last week of the regular season results in a forfeit of those games.
- Each match begins with one practice throw for each player.
- Matches consist of three games of four throws each.
- The player who wins more games wins the match.
- Ties are awarded half of a win.
- League Tournament
- Each week before the tournament consists of 4 matches.
- The last week of league is a double-elimination tournament. The top 14 players compete for the championship.
- Standings are determined by number of wins.
- Ties in standings are broken by total points scored.
- In the event of a tie game in the tournament:
- Each player will throw together until the tie is broken.
- The 8-ball is not in play at the start of the tie-breaker.
- After both players have hit a bulls-eye three times in a row, the 8-balls are the only zone in play
- After 3 consecutive 8-balls, players must announce and hit an 8-ball of their choice. Each successive throw must be at the next 8-ball in a clockwise direction.
- Tournament matches are played until one player has four wins.